Ishigaki Island (Ishigaki City, Okinawa …
The USIO Design Project invites people
to rediscover the allures of Ishigaki Island
through the power of design.
Ishigaki Island is the gateway to the Yaeyama Island Group situated in the southern-most tip of Japan. For centuries, it’s been home to a unique local culture that stems from a blend of the Ryukyu, Japanese and Taiwanese cultures. The allures of the island, which is frequented by many tourists, shine all the more brightly thanks to the island’s unique diversity.
The project strives to invite people to the island like the tides of the ocean, and create a rich mix of cultures that come together like a rip.
With hubs in Ishigaki, Tokyo and Taipei, the project is designed to bring the local products, people and wisdom of Ishigaki Island together with the creativity of designers from around the world. Discovering the local areas and their products, sharing ideas, and creating stories for tomorrow.
Attempting to shine a new light on collaborations between Local Areas x Design
USIO Design Project #02 Calling for Travel Designers
Redesign travel unique to Ishigaki Island
- Entry Period
- December 5, 2014 (Friday) –10:00am (Japan time)
on January 13, 2015 (Tuesday)
- Entry Process
USIO Design Project is rolling out an open competition calling for Ishigaki Island travel plans. (The USIO Design Project is an open competition calling for Ishigaki Island travel plans.) Using three of the 24 keywords, develop a travel concept and plan and post the details.
Here’s a list of keywords relating to Ishigaki Island to help you develop your travel plan. Please select 3 keywords and develop your travel plan and concept based on these words.
Entry Period: December 5, 2014 (Fri) to 10:00am (Japan time) on January 13, 2015 (Tues)
Results announced: End of January 2015 (tentative)
Winners’ Ishigaki visit and execution of travel plans: Mid-Feb to March 2015 (tentative)
Release reports of travel plans and develop tour products: From Late-March 2015 (tentative)
(Release of travel plan reports and tour product development:)
- Prizes and Awards
5-10 Travel Designers *Decided based on the content of travel plans
Several Good Idea Awards
- About the Selection
- For this competition, the judges will be looking for unique and attractive travel plans that cleverly incorporate the local resources of Ishigaki island as well as the designer’s vision. The judges include: an expert in Ishigaki Island’s tourism; a creative leader from Taiwan, which is closer in proximity to Ishigaki Island than Okinawa’s main island; and a media professional who strives to find the excitement in life amidst the everyday humdrum.
Yuji Hayashi, Web Master, Daily Portal Z
W.L. Chen, CEO, Taiwan Design Centre
Dai Takakura, Acting Director, Secretariat of the Ishigaki City Tourism and Exchange Association
Chiaki Hayashi, Co-founder and Representative Director, Loftwork Inc.
- Entry Description
- Submit a unique travel plan of experiences and things to do on Ishigaki Island
- Entry Requirements
- Anyone can enter regardless of their nationality, occupation, age, or whether or not they have been to Ishigaki Island before. Entrants need to have an account on Loftwork.com (free of charge) to enter.
- How to Enter
Please register an account (free of charge) on Loftwork.com. Then, after you have read the competition guidelines and conditions, please fill out the entry form to register.
- Other Rewards
Travel Designer Awards: Selected plans will be executed on Ishigaki Island (scheduled for February to Mid-March 2015)
Good Idea Awards: Selected entrants will receive a special Ishigaki Island gift from the USIO Design Project
Selected plans and travel designers will be introduced on the official USIO Design Project website and on Loftwork.com, as well as promoted by Ishigaki City’s Tourism and Culture Division as an initiative for the rediscovery of Ishigaki’s allures.
Of the selected plans, the most alluring and feasible plans shall be developed into official Ishigaki City tours.
- Selection Criteria
Plans should reflect elements unique to Ishigaki Island and the Yaeyama Island Group
Plans should be so enticing that they make people want to visit Ishigaki Island and tell their friends about it too.
Plans should be unique with elements of surprise and rediscovery.
*Please note that entries may not be accepted if the entry details are incomplete or the entry is not filed properly.
*If you are having difficulty uploading your entry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions regarding how to email@example.com
- For media firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hosted by/Ishigaki City’s Tourism and Culture Division
- Planned and executed by/Loftwork Inc.
- Supported by/Ishigaki City Tourism and Exchange Association, Daily Portal Z
For the first round of the Pproject, we invited people to rediscover the allures of Ishigaki Island through the island’s locally-produced items. Ten of the island’s specialty products were redesigned based on ten of the designs sent in from all around the world. The specialty products, which were co-designed by the winning designers (7 Japanese and 1 Taiwanese) and local producers, are available for sale on and off the island and act as invitations that communicate the allures of the island.
- Yuji Hayashi, Web Master, Daily Portal Z
- W.L. Chen, CEO, Taiwan Design Centre
- Dai Takakura, Acting Director, Secretariat of the Ishigaki City Tourism and Exchange Association
- Chiaki Hayashi, Co-founder and Representative Director, Loftwork Inc.
For round 2 of the Project, we are inviting people to rediscover experiences that can only be had on the island. We are calling for travel plans for people visiting Ishigaki Island, and asking entrants to think of new ways to experience Ishigaki. We are hoping to develop these travel plans into tour products featuring brand new experiences on the island, which attracts around 1 million tourists each year.